sending hexadecimal control characters, how to?

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Mon Dec 7 13:50:00 EST 2009

Alejandro and Sarah,

They do this because we have special receipt printers that are sealed like
Richmond have them in Bulgaria. The goverment checks on the printer records
(memory of the printer itself) to see how the business is doing with their
TAX. Software could be used to keep what we call "caixa 2" (box 2) which is
basically a different box of money, like box 1 is for the goverment to see
and box 2 is mine and mine alone, which is basically tax evasion and thats
why the goverment is paranoid about software talking to receipt printers, to
make sure that if talks, then it should always do so!

Of course that the shop owner could simply not use a machine, but then, here
credit card pads are wired to those machines anyway so it is basically
impossible to process any kind of eletronic payment without talking to the
printer.

As for developing the software overseas, it would not solve the problem
because the software to operate in here would need to be approved or it is
the same as me developing it on my secret basement.

Thats why I don't enter that business... argh! Silly goverment, by the way,
we have eletronic voting here, you should see the regulations and processes
on those machines and software. Brazilian goverment is pretty good even if
paranoid with software.