finding revlet limits in a controlled environment

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Sun Dec 6 19:59:30 EST 2009

Hello -

My client wants to sell revlet-based software to his customers in a
large US govt agency. If they are able to download & install the revweb
plugin, we don't know what limitations to a revlet's capabilities might
be enforced by IT in their computing environment. To answer this
question, we've built a web site his customers can use in their world
that steps them through a series of revlets that each try different
kinds of activity. The activities include:

    * load the plugin and do nothing
    * create, read, rename, delete a file on the local HD
    * get a web URL (google.com)
    * run a shell command ("dir" or "ls")
    * create, delete a stack in memory; get a stackfile from a web server
    * print to their printer

Those are all the tests so far. The test web site emails the revlet test
results back to me.

Now my question:
Are we testing the right things? If not, what else should we test for?

Thanks for any feedback.

--
Phil Davis

PDS Labs