OT OS X HD Partitioning, multiple OSs

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Dec 5 11:02:11 EST 2009

jim sims wrote:

>   I might be getting a 13" 160 GB  MacBook Pro
> What have other people done with their machines?
>
> What OS(s) have you loaded - XP, Vista,Windows 7?
>
> If Linux, what flavor might be the best/most common to develop for?
>
> How did you partition it? What sizes for each?
>
> What would you do differently if they did it over again (likely the
> most informative question/answer!)?

Congrats on the new system.

FWIW, I use Parallels because I love being able to keep OS X running and
share files, the Clipboard, etc. between them.  If you need native speed
Bootcamp is hard to beat, but for VMs Parallels is pretty good.

I keep the most popular version of each OS family installed on my MBP:

- Win XP (still at 62%, with Vista at 17.5% and 7 at 6.5%
<http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp>

- Ubuntu - probably the leader for consumer Linux installs, so it can be
a good choice if you're interested in deploying consumer apps for the
Linux market.

I used the default settings in Parallels for each of these which do not
require partitioning and grow over time.  Currently my XP install is
6.2GB and Ubuntu is 3GB here.

I also carry a portable Firewire drive in my saddlebag as one of my
three backup volumes (with another stored at the office and a third at
home; redundant backups contribute to a good night's sleep <g>), and I
have enough spare capacity on that drive to keep Parallels volumes for
Vista and Win 7 on it for testing as needed.

I do regularly partition my drive whenever I get a new laptop, keeping
the previous version of OS X installed on that smaller partition for
testing and for the security of knowing I have something else to boot
from if the SHTF.  I also keep Disk Warrior and other utils installed on
both partitions so I can boot from the other to do deep cleaning when
needed.

My secondary partition is small, about 20GB; just enough for the OS,
swap, and utils.

With the last two OS X releases I must say I've never truly needed to
boot from the secondary partition.  Perhaps that's related to my better
adherence in recent years to the rule that one should keep at least 12
GB free on OS X to avoid file system errors (I once had overlapping
files when I let the free space get below 6GB -- don't do that, ever.
Really.  It's a serious PITA, and easily avoidable with a little
periodic housekeeping).

I'm tempted to say that on my next laptop I may not bother with the
extra partition, but I'm old-fashioned and it is convenient to have the
two latest OS X releases handy for testing.

With all those OSes on your MBP you're almost set -- just three more
accessories to complete the portability package:

<http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/>
<http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Pages/RackPages/RearRacks.html>
<http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/commuter/overview.asp?fl=1&site=>

After all, who wants to be stuck in a car in Rome when there's so much
to see?

:)

--
  Richard Gaskin