Caching problem with revlets

Martin Baxter mb.userev at harbourhosting.co.uk
Fri Dec 4 11:07:51 EST 2009

Richard,

Yes do read the article. It may clarify, and details a number of methods
and their pros and cons. Using htaccess files with apache is only one of
the possibilities discussed there. However the article seems to be
written in French today. It was in English yesterday, honestly. I think
there's probably been a mistake. I emailed the author to point this out
so perhaps he'll restore the english version eventually. If you read
French well enough it won't be a problem of course.

I won't try and go into all the potential issues here. But ask again if
there is something particular that you want clarification on.

Martin

Richard Miller wrote:
> Martin,
>
> Thanks. I only wish I knew what you are talking about! I will read the
> article.
>
> The revlet is stored on a GoDaddy server. Is that apache? Can I do the
> things you suggest, given where it is stored?
>
> Richard
>

> Martin Baxter wrote:
>> Richard
>>
>> if:
>>
>> a you are using apache
>> b mod_expires is installed
>> c you can use .htaccess files
>>
>> Then you should be able to use expires directives in an .htaccess file
>> to inhibit cacheing based on media type (extension).
>>
>> <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_expires.html>
>>
>> I don't know if that will work, I haven't tried it, but I think it has
>> more chance than cache control meta tags, which are known to be
>> ineffective IIRC. It's the way I would try and do it anyway.
>>
>> Also, possibly helpful article on cacheing generally:
>>
>> <http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/>
>>
>> Martin Baxter
>>
>> Richard Miller wrote:
>>
>>> I really need help with this one.
>>>
>>> To get at the heart of a few problems, I just put some code into my
>>> revlet to check that when a user opens my revlet, this person actually
>>> has the latest version. Just got word from one user (Vista + IE) that
>>> the revlet he recently accessed was an older version. So caching is
>>> taking place.
>>>
>>> This code doesn't do the job:
>>>
>>> <head>
>>> <META Http-Equiv="Cache-Control" Content="no-cache">
>>> <META Http-Equiv="Pragma" Content="no-cache">
>>> <META Http-Equiv="Expires" Content="0">
>>> </head>
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> Richard Miller

In the absence of a definition, anything makes sense.
Jeff Ello
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9141609/Opinion_The_unspoken_truth_about_why_your_IT_sucks?taxonomyId=14&pageNumber=4