Rev 4.0 article on TheServerSide

Peter W A Wood peterwawood at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 20:01:58 EST 2009

Richard

> IIRC, the Java example of how to make an alias is from the Apple web site.

That raises an interesting question. Is is because Apple's engineers write poor Java that Steve Jobs said “Java’s not worth building in. Nobody uses Java anymore. It’s this big heavyweight ball and chain.” or is it because Steve Jobs said it that Apple's engineers write poor Java?

Whatever the answer, Andre raised a very relevant point, with which I fully agree, that Rev is not well served by using a comparison against what others feel is very poor code.

To truly demonstrate Rev's ability against other code, get the code written by a recognised expert in that language (somebody like Bruce Eckel for Java and C++). Yes, it would cost money but I believe it would be money well spent.

If RunRev doesn't have or want to spend the money then issue a challenge to improve the code on a forum like Stackoverflow.

To exemplify both points, I was going to write a counter example of sending a simple email - sending a simple text message. I'm new to Rev so I couldn't do it off the top of my head. So, I leave it to the experts on the list to come up with the Rev to counter my Rebol example:

REBOL[] ;; Script header

;; Initialise network settings
set-net [
    MyEmail at MyDomain.com
    smtp.MyDomain.com
    pop.MyDomain.com
    ProxyDomain.com                         	;; or None
    ProxyPort				     	;; or None
    ProxyProtocol					;; or None
    "MyUserAccount"
    "MyPassword"
  ]

send YourEmail at YourDomain.com "Hello There"

send/header YourEmail at YourDomain.com
	"Doesn't this demonstrate a biased example?"
	"Rebol needs far fewer lines than Rev"

;; end of scrpt

Regards

Peter