Rev 4.0 on PPC Linux?

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 13:44:15 EST 2009

On 12/1/09 7:54 PM, Mark Schonewille wrote:
> Richmond,
>
> Officially, I don't know, because there are no system requirements on
> this page <http://www.runrev.com/products/revstudio/overview/> or
> anywhere else AFAIK.
>
> Unofficially, during the past years, we have only seen x86
> distributions for Linux, so I have no reason to believe that we may
> expect a PPC version anytime soon.

Thanks.

I was wondering about bunging this:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/9.10/release/

on a 'stray' PPC MacMini I have that is being remarkably unproductive
right now.

I don't know how 'close' a Linux build of RunRev gets to the code that
'talks' directly to a processor, so don't know whether the Linux build
of Studio 4 will only function on an x86 processor.

I am torn between reinstalling Mac OS Tiger (which has gone 'sour' -
Yes, Mac OS X can go sour, as can Windows) and PPC Ubuntu, and then
either Studio (cannot install Mac Studio as is already on my G4 cooker)
or Media as a 'toy' for the country cottage next spring.

Either way, will install:

GIMP,
AUDACITY
and FONT FORGE

which, along with RunRev are, for me, the indispensables.

sincerely, Richmond.