Rev Documentation [WAS: Launch another app from my standalone]

Len Morgan len-morgan at crcom.net
Mon Aug 31 22:50:54 EDT 2009

Adrian Williams wrote:

> Dans' book, great though it is as a primer, is not as accessible as
> many 'QuickStart' guidebooks available these days.
I wouldn't expect too much from a "Quick Start Guide to Piloting the
Space Shuttle."  Complicated topics are hard condense down into a "Quick
Start."  As I think Jim mentioned, authors have to write to an audience.
I don't think it's possible to write a book that can be useful to a rank
beginner AND a programming professional.  They are different audiences
with different needs and have to be "spoken" to in different ways.

What would be cool would be some sort of online documentation resource
that had an "I Get It" scrollbar that would show or hide more or less
detail depending on whether it's on the "Beginner" or "Expert" end.
While were at it, we could have platform buttons so if you only really
cared about Windows, you wouldn't see OS X and Linux examples (where
they are different).  There might be an indication that there ARE other
things available there (or not) but you wouldn't have to look at it if
you didn't want to.

I'll probably start working on such a program since now that I think
about it, it's a pretty cool idea.  The hard part of course is creating
and maintaining the content.  I'll do the "easy" part of creating the
program and then we can all pitch in and create content.

len morgan