Performance of RevMedia on matrix diagonalization

Piero Ugliengo piero.ugliengo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 02:28:32 EDT 2009

Hi Bernard, you are certianly right about RB. Indeed I am following their
developmentduring the years. I am pretty sure that the same code will be
probably faster in RB than in VB6
but I have yet to decide to buy their compiler.
As you said, what is attractive in RevMedia is its free character and the
fact that one can
write a trully portable app running within any browser. It is also rather
easy to
adopt as a language for teaching programming concepts to people in the
scientific field without
the effort needed with Java or C++. Python is certainly a beautiful language
extremely reach
in features and ad hoc libraries and can be adopted as a general purpose
language also
in a scientific context (Numpy will solve almost all numerical aspects). On
the other hand
I still have to find an easy way to deploy to a final user a complex Python
application which would
be straightforward to install on his/her computer.
Cheers
Piero

2009/8/28 Bernard Devlin <bdrunrev at gmail.com>

> Viktoras,
>
> Maybe the wording in the IDE (and maybe the docs) is misleading.
> After all, the button in the script editor says 'compile', not just
> 'save' or 'check syntax'.  It might very well be that it is compiled
> into some form of p-code that doesn't mean that it needs to be
> re-compiled each time the script inside a control is called.  (I
> believe that Python and other scripting languages also compile down to
> some form that doesn't require recompilation - I know that REXX used
> to do this).
>
> If it is compiled then one might well have an expectation that it
> would perform at speeds near to those of VB.  After all, Java is
> compiled to byte code and it performs pretty well these days.
> (Although it hardly seems reasonable to expect a company the size of
> RunRev to be able to optimize cross-platform execution the way that a
> company the size of Sun [with additional help/stimulus from companies
> like IBM/Oracle]).
>
> It might also be interesting/useful for Piero to implement his code in
> RealBasic.  Since it is so close to VB it should be fairly trivial.
> After all, RB  is cross platform and from a small company too.
> Although if Piero is interested in delivering content through a
> browser, then RB may not be of much interest to him even if it is
> faster.
>
> Bernard
>
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 8:30 PM, viktoras d.<viktoras at ekoinf.net> wrote:
> > However, please
> > correct me if I am wrong, VB6 is compiled while Revolution is
> interpreted,
> > therefore much slower. Did you try implementing same algorithm in other
> > interpreted languages (javascript, php, perl, etc?) it would be
> interesting
> > to do some benchmarking :-)

Prof. Piero Ugliengo
University of Torino
Dip. Chimica IFM,  Via P. Giuria, 7 I-10125 Torino
ITALY
Phone: +39-011-670.4596
FAX:   +39-011-236.4596
E-mail:  piero.ugliengo at unito.it