Performance of RevMedia on matrix diagonalization

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 01:11:27 EDT 2009

Viktoras,

Maybe the wording in the IDE (and maybe the docs) is misleading.
After all, the button in the script editor says 'compile', not just
'save' or 'check syntax'.  It might very well be that it is compiled
into some form of p-code that doesn't mean that it needs to be
re-compiled each time the script inside a control is called.  (I
believe that Python and other scripting languages also compile down to
some form that doesn't require recompilation - I know that REXX used
to do this).

If it is compiled then one might well have an expectation that it
would perform at speeds near to those of VB.  After all, Java is
compiled to byte code and it performs pretty well these days.
(Although it hardly seems reasonable to expect a company the size of
RunRev to be able to optimize cross-platform execution the way that a
company the size of Sun [with additional help/stimulus from companies
like IBM/Oracle]).

It might also be interesting/useful for Piero to implement his code in
RealBasic.  Since it is so close to VB it should be fairly trivial.
After all, RB  is cross platform and from a small company too.
Although if Piero is interested in delivering content through a
browser, then RB may not be of much interest to him even if it is
faster.

Bernard