Vote to disable password protection for revMedia 4 stacks

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Tue Aug 25 17:21:22 EDT 2009

On Tue Aug 25, 2009; William Marriott wjm at wjm.org wrote:

> There are many reasons why we opted to make revMedia a free product.
> I'll detail some of them here:
>
> 1) Students.
> (snip)
> 2) Ubiquity.
> (snip)
> 3) Great content everyone can see.
> (snip)
> 4) It's 2009 and the Web is all about FREE.
> (snip)
> 5) Revenue.
> (snip)
> - Bill
>    RunRev marketing guy

Bill,

I am really happy that you eventually have re-introduced a free version.
In 2001 the Rev team strongly opposed such deliberations, mainly because
of economical reasons.

Here is a part of my post sent to Kevin (Miller) some days ago, when I
extended my license up to 2013.

> I congratulate you on the decision to offer one version of Revolution
> to the public for free. In 2001 we both had an exchange on the
> Revolution list about such free versions. I had proposed to you to
> continue to support the Metacard version - as some sort of "Revolution
> Light" - and either offer it for free or at a very low price. Such a
> step - in my opinion - would have been necessary, because at that time
> you discontinued the free "Starter Kit" versions - from economical
> reasons as you stated it, if I remember correctly.
>
> Not having at my disposal such Starter Kits has impeded my work to
> some substantial degree with students at our university. We were
> however  lucky to be able to continue to use the old Starter Kit
> versions (which one could extend up to version 2.5), but were of
> course unable to work with newly introduced features.-

Best regards,

Wilhelm Sanke