Disabled Shortcut Command+Q on MacOS

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Mon Aug 24 12:28:30 EDT 2009

On Aug 21, 2009, at 5:25 PM, Kenji Kojima wrote:

> Mark, Devin
>
> AppleEvent worked what I wanted.
> ShutdownRequest worked too, but I needed force quit.

Kenji,

Sorry, I didn't understand exactly what you needed. You can prevent an
app from showing up on the dock and in Force Quit window by adding a
property to the plist for the app. It is the LSUIElement property and
it is described at http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2062.html#NotShowUpInForceQuit

What I do is insert the property in the app's plist to create a
faceless application (one that doesn't appear in Force Quit list or in
Dock):

<key> LSUIElement </key>
<string>1</string>

I find it's best to use the Property List Editor application to do
this rather than a text editor.

Once you have done this you may not see the change right away, because
of the way OS X stores information about installed apps. Here's a
quote from a thread a couple of years ago on this topic:

<quote>
The issue is somewhat similar to the icon issue on Mac OS X, where the
new icon doesn't show up unless you goose the app by zipping and
unzipping it, opening Get Info and selecting and deleting the generic
icon. Different people have different ways of fixing this. In the case
of LSIElement, if you have ever launched your standalone *before*
adding the LSUIElement node to the plist, then you add it and launch
the standalone again, the change is not respected by the OS. Something
about the application database or cache the OS keeps. Try this: make
your standalone, and be sure to change the plist file before you ever
launch it. Or, take your standalone to another OS X machine and launch
it. You will see the desired effect. There may a better method for
forcing the OS to see your app as a brand-new, never-run-before
program, but one of these techniques always works for me.
</quote>

Hope this helps.

devin

Devin Asay