Temporary storage of imagedata

Richard Miller wow at together.net
Mon Aug 24 08:28:37 EDT 2009

This is for a revlet application.

I'm looking at various ways to temporarily store image snapshots before
displaying them in a stack. The objective is to record several hundred
screen shots (one per second), store them temporarily, then put the
images into a new stack, one image per card, for replay. The temporary
storage process needs to occur very quickly, as the user is interacting
with the main stack while the recording is taking place. Each snapshot
is shot with a low jpegquality (30-40), as the file size of the final
group of images must be kept to a minimum so it can be transferred
fairly quickly over the net.

Each image is averaging 30k. 100 images is 3 mb... which will work for
this application. Right now, I am just saving each snapshot to a file,
then at the end of the recording process, quickly putting each image
onto a card. That whole saving-to-stack process takes about 10 seconds
or so, which is fine.

I'm thinking it might be better/more elegant to store the imagedata of
all the images into one variable (rather than to separate files), but
I'm not sure how best to store this data (since it is binary and
contains many lines per image). Then, at the end of the recording, I
could transfer just this data over the net (stored as one binary file),
then either create a display stack containing one image per card, or
maybe even better, just create one card with one image "on the fly",
pulling the data for each image from this data variable.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Richard Miller