Plug in problem with IE for Win XP Pro solved

Sadhu Nadesan sadhu at castandcrew.com
Fri Aug 21 17:14:36 EDT 2009

Greetings,

Per my last email, I reported trouble getting revlets to work with
Internet Explorer.  I was pointed to the forum (and I will post there
too) regarding a solution for Windows Vista which said the revlet had to
be installed as the administrator.  That didn't work on Windows XP Pro,
which is what we have at my work.

However, that was the right clue, so thank you.  The solution for
Windows XP Pro, for me anyway (using IE 8, and recompiling the revlet
with the latest beta version of Rev Enterprise) was to do the following:

*Download the revweb plug in, and save it, don't run it from the browser
download
*Right click the file and choose "run as"
*Run as yourself (ie, whatever user you are logged in as, not administrator)
*In the 2nd dialog (wish I could send a screen shot) there is a little
box under your name which says something about protect my computer
*It says, protect me from viruses etc etc.  That is checked by default.
Uncheck that box
*Then continue with the install of the revweb plug in

After that, IE 8 was able to successfully run the web page with the
revlet, without asking every time to download the plug in.

I tried this also with another user in a remote office, leading them
through the steps on the phone.  I do not know which version of IE they
have (6 is the company standard I'm told), and the page worked for them
also.  This means it is not a networking issue or firewall rules issue
or other problem peculiar to our company, in my opinion.

So, it's good news!  Whoo-hoo!

Cheers,
Sadhu