Radio buttons that don't look like radio buttons

David Glasgow david at dvglasgow.wanadoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 17 22:13:22 EDT 2009

Revolutionaries,

I have several cards containing many radio buttons, and want to have
a summary screen which consists of an array of colour indicators
reflecting the status of the scattered radio buttons.  I remembered
that many years ago I made some radio buttons that didn't look like
radio buttons (they were intended to function and look a bit like the
pop up - down mechanical buttons on old cassette recorders). So I set
out the summary card with radio buttons which are set and reset by
user actions on corresponding groups on the relevant card.  That
works fine.  A brief script built around

set the hilitedbutton of  SummaryGroupOnCard1  to the hilitedbutton
of the owner of the target

does the trick.

However, the summary display can't look like radio buttons in the
final product, because users will quite reasonably expect to be able
to click on them.  I planned to change the properties of the summary
buttons after I had finished laying out and scripting the cards the
users will actually interact with.

When the time came, I started to set and tweak properties and colours
of the buttons on the summary card, but couldn't get the simple plain
colour patch which switches on or off mutually exclusively with its
fellow group members.

After maybe an hour of futile clicking, I set out to find the buttons
I made years ago, and to my amazement succeeded.  However, I *still*
can't find out how I made the radio buttons not have the little radio
button blob in the middle.  There is no scripting involved, and no
icons.   They do have hilited text and fill colours that match - if
they don't, a little dot appears when selected, like old Win radio
buttons (I am on OS X).   Selection is only indicated by a change in
the border.  However, even though I have matched as many properties
and colours as I can find, my new radio buttons insist on having the
radio button blob.

I know I could just copy the little group I have, and use them, but
this is really bugging me.  Was I quite clever years ago, or am I
being quite dumb now?

David Glasgow