Why is Put not Putting?

Gregory Lypny gregory.lypny at videotron.ca
Mon Aug 17 20:14:47 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009, at 7:51 PM, Craig Newman wrote:

> OK. With a much larger amount of data, the field does not, in fact,
> load
> the text until the end of the handler. The "wait with messages"
> works like a
> charm.
>
> So is Gregory right? Does Rev blanch at the task upcoming, even
> though it
> has not accessed the data yet, and so could not possible know how
> large the
> task was going to be? I find this very strange, but know that
> someone will
> show my why it is perfectly normal.

Hi Craig, I think it just gets to the next statements (the data
processing) faster than it has an opportunity to update any visuals.
If I exit the handler before executing any data processing statements,
then the progress message is displayed.  And incidentally, it is not
the amount of data that is subsequently dealt with that causes the
problem.  If I get only ten lines data, rather than the whole 152,000,
the progress message still won't appear in the field.

Around the same time, Randall Reetz wrote:

> i'm sure I am not the first to say so, but you are vastly over
> estimating the sophistication of the interpretor.  It does not
> forward to predict and then anticipate the intention of your
> script.  That is the HAL stuff of science fiction (for now).

That's not what I was saying, Randall, although I can see that the way
I wrote it, it could be interpreted as such.  As I responded above to
Craig, it may be that Rev gets to the next instructions faster than it
can update visuals, and if those next instructions are processor
intensive (not that I know what that means) than it cannot update the
visuals.

> If you have two put statements in the same loop, (or any for that
> matter) you are also vastly underestimating the speed of your
> processor.  Your screen doesn't even refresh fast enough to capture
> updates to the message box that quickly.
>
> Try nesting the main repeat loop within another loop and maintaining
> a counter that determines a set number of updates (say 100) each of
> which 1/100th of the total number of loops.  Place your progress
> updater in the outer repeat loop.

	Gregory