Importing gMail

James Hurley jhurley0305 at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Fri Aug 14 14:10:33 EDT 2009

> Recently, James Hurley wrote:
>
> > My conviction that anything is possible
> > from this list is sustained. (I've been working on squaring the
> > circle. Any ideas anybody?)
>
> What do you mean by "squaring"?  If you're trying to morph a circle
> into a
> square, create the circle by starting with a roundrect graphic whose
> roundradius is set to its diameter.  When the roundradius of the
> graphic is
> decreased, the circle will become a square.
>
> Maybe this isn't what you're after, but it's one version "squaring".
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design

Scott,

Actually, Scott, I was trying to be funny. I get into more trouble
that way.

Squaring the circle was a classic problem for Greek geometers. The
problem was to use only the canonical geometrical tools (compass and
straight edge) to construct a square with the same area as a given
circle. It was all the rage in its day. It was the equivalent in its
day of the present day problem to proving Fermat's last theorem.
Except that that has recently been proven--took over a HUNDRED PAGES.

It was subsequently proven that squaring the circle is impossible. Has
something to do with the fact that pi is a transcendental number and
not simply an irrational number.

But I like your construction. See, I was right. Nothing is past the
skills of the Rev list. Rev should use this in their promotional
material for the new Rev Media. That is at least as important as the
English-like Rev Talk. Let's give it a name: "List Talk"

Jim Hurley