Transcript should be called Transcript

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Aug 13 13:42:21 EDT 2009

Richmond wrote:

 > I cannot see why there is a need to have a name that is distinct from
 > the IDE...

Because words have meaning.  Forgive the seeming tautology, but there's
a point to this:

The programming language is not the same thing as the IDE, or even as
the engine on which the IDE sits. While all three are inextricably bound
together, each is a separate thing; each deserves some way to refer to
it without confusing it for something else.

The problem many had with using "Revolution" to describe both the
product and its language is that it removed any concise way to
distinguish exactly what it was you were talking about.

Now with "RevMedia", "RevStudio", and "RevEnterprise" as the product
names and "RevTalk" as the language name we have the branding
consistency that was desired but without the ambiguity.

Devin's points about "*Talk" are spot-on, IMO.  I rarely meet anyone
who's even heard of HyperCard any more, and since we're talking about a
language whose main selling point is its English-like syntax, using
"*Talk" makes that clearer than "*Code" or even "*Script".

RunRev Ltd. has undertaken a good deal revision to both their branding
and the product line over the years, but I can honestly say this is the
first time I feel the changes have unqualified merit.

RevMedia, the browser plugin, and the server engine are all free, things
which some of us have been advocating for years as essential to
evangelizing the language.

The branding across the product line is more consistent than ever, and
at long last uses terms which don't pull up 30 pages of non-Rev-related
results in SERPs.

A+ across the board.

 > MetaCard as the Heretical Bunch.

Know the engine.
Trust the engine.
Use the engine.

;)

Reduce the differences between development and runtime, and you reduce
time-to-market.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World