Transcript should be called Transcript

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Thu Aug 13 12:48:10 EDT 2009

My biggest priority for a new name is that it should be a sufficiently good
choice to avoid being changed again.   We've been through MetaTalk ->
Transcript -> Revolution -> (new name);   Each time the name is changed, a
whole lot of efforts to raising awareness is lost, and useful information
becomes further fragmented and hard to find.  Personally I never took any
notice of the last change and continued to refer to the language as
Revolution.  No doubt some still refer to it as MetaTalk.

My second biggest priority for a name is that it be unique and hence
searchable.  Revolution and Transcript both failed that test.  If Transcript
hadn't, I'd have argued more strongly for going back to it in accordance with
the above.  RevTalk meets that test.

The context for the new name is that RunRev are renaming all their products to
clarify them, and I think that's a good thing.  By renaming them all to unique
compound pseudo words, they also become more searchable: ie "revStudio" is
better than "Revolution Studio".  My remaining concern is that it would be
better if the language name was orthoganal to, rather than in line with, the
various product names:
	revMedia
	revStudio
	revEnterprise
	revWeb

	revlets
	revTalk
	RevSelect *

	RunRev *

RunRev is easy to see as something that goes across all the above.  In an
ideal world (ie, one in which I am in charge of everything) revTalk would be
more distinguished - actually I'd have suggested reversing all the others to
mediaRev, studioRev etc) rather than looking like it's one among the set.

Beyond these three concerns, while I have minor views and preferences among
revCode, revScript, revTalk etc, I think that's the least important aspect of
the name.

But it's all moot anyway: RunRev have launched a new name, "revTalk".  That's
what it is now.

Ben

* capitalisation of these elements is less obviously fixed, at least in the
current iteration of the RunRev (or runrev) website.