Releasing Memory and Virtual Memory

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Aug 11 17:25:07 EDT 2009

Recently, Derek Bump wrote:

> Is there any way to force Revolution to "let go" or "release" excessive
> amounts of memory?
>

> I've got a project that scans through a folder of images, imports the
> image into an image object (via put url "binfile:"), exports it as a
> JPEG, then puts "empty" into the image object (to free it up).
>
> The problem is that after 100 or so images, the amount of memory that
> Revolution is using is over 1.5 GB's of Real RAM and 3 GB's of Virtual
> RAM.  This, of course, slows down all of my other applications until I
> close Revolution.
>
> Meanwhile, in the same project, I can do the same thing manually with
> just 1 image, and the memory goes back down.  I import the image into an
> image object, export it, and put "empty" into the object.  When I do so,
> the Activity Monitor shows a 10 MB drop in RAM usage.

Three things I would try:

- try setting the filename of the target image, as opposed to using "put
url"

- save the stack each time after exporting 10 to 20 images or so

- if saving every so often doesn't do anything, try deleting the image
object, and creating a brand new one, and saving, as opposed to putting
empty into the existing image

Hope one of these helps.

Regards,

Scott Rossi