cookbook for putting Rev app on the web?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Aug 11 16:34:56 EDT 2009

Sadhu Nadesan wrote:
> Ah, well, perhaps I spoke slightly too soon, a tad more research to do.
> I should add, it worked flawlessly in test mode, when the html page and
> the revlet was on my PC.  When I put this stuff on an actual web server,
> it hangs at "Loading revWeb Content".  I put both files in the same
> directory on the Linux server, same as they were on the PC, and I
> checked that there is world read and/or execute permissions, and I tried
> changing the extension to cgi in case there is some Apache restriction
> against running executable files with a "revlet" extension  ... so I
> guess I better dig for more doco to see what I have missed.

There are a few glitches in this alpha version, but it will work. I
don't think it is your server settings, and you probaby shouldn't change
the default extension. There are a couple of things that will cause a
hang at the "loading" screen. One is having extra copies of revWebPlayer
running and the other is trying to load the plugin in more than one
browser at a time. I have, however, been able to run multiple copies of
the plugin in different tabs in the same browser simultaneously.

To fix everything all in one go, quit all browsers that are open and
check the task manager (or Activity Monitor on Macs) for instances of
revWebPlayer. Terminate any that are still running. The launch a web
browser and reload the page. That usually clears it up for me.

I get this behavior when I'm testing in both Safari and Firefox on my
Mac, and I forget to leave the page in one while trying to start it in
the other. You don't really need to quit the extra browser, just moving
to a non-plugin page will work, but if all else fails, just quit and
restart for now.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com