libURL HTTP downloading

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Sat Aug 8 21:39:04 EDT 2009

On Aug 8, 2009, at 7:08 PM, Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com wrote:

> How can one obtain this extra fancy spancy feature filled version of
> libURL.  :-)   I have never been able to get Rev talking through a
> proxy.
> It works fine from a direct internet connection though.  I need it to
> prompt for proxy authentication.

It comes with the GLX Application Framework.

<http://www.bluemangolearning.com/revolution/software/libraries/glx-application-framework/

I've documented how to do a couple of things with the custom libURL
including how to install it though there is still more documentation
to do. Look at the "Internet Integration" chapter in the manual:

<http://revolution.screenstepslive.com/spaces/revolution/manuals/glxapp>

If you want to find the handlers I added to the library then search
for "--> TKD Additions" in the custom libURL script. You can also
search for "tkd" in the script to find notes I've made.

Whether or not you need the proxy features in the custom version
depends on what kind of proxy server you are dealing with. If you
always know the proxy server IP address, the server uses Basic
Authentication and you just need to prompt for username/password then
libUrlSetAuthCallback should work fine. You can read up on it and see
some examples here:

<http://www.lacscentre.com/liburl/liburldoc.html>

If you are dealing with Digest or NTLM (Windows only) authentication
but know the proxy server IP address then you can still use the
standard libURL library but you will need some additional code to
handle authorization. If you look at the glxapplicationframework.dat
stack script (included in the distribution) you can search for
glxappAuthDigestCallback and glxappAuthNTLMCallback. Note that for
NTLM you will need the altNTLM.dll external that comes with the
distribution. Altuit was kind enough to provide this.

If, however, your software is running on a computer that uses a PAC
file to figure out the proxy server then you will need the custom
version of libURL. You will also need to pick a number of handlers out
of the glxapplicationframework stack script. Search for "--> Proxy
handlers" in the script and you will be taken to all of the proxy
initialization code.

Now, if you use the GLX Application Framework then all of the gory
details are handled for you. You just have to make a single call to
glxapp_initializeProxy when your app loads up and most situations will
be handled automatically.

Regards,

--
Trevor DeVore