libURL HTTP downloading

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Sat Aug 8 16:25:34 EDT 2009

I assume that, when using Rev's libURL-based HTTP downloading, errors
are more likely to occur when downloading many smaller files than when
downloading a few larger ones. Statistically this makes sense, but can
anyone speak to this from their experience? The "many small files"
scenario I'm talking about is a few hundred files in a single download
sequence, with most files in the under-1mb category except for a few
.mov files that are typically 5 to 70mb each.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth the effort to add server-side
scripting that zips the smaller files into larger clumps before downloading.

Thanks for your feedback! I'm using libUrlVersion 1.1.6.
--
Phil Davis

PDS Labs
Professional Software Development