[ANN] tRev Feature Friday Videos!

Jerry Daniels jerry.daniels at me.com
Sat Aug 8 12:31:16 EDT 2009

Nicolas, et al.,

A good dialog on the virtues of a tool and it's areas where it can
improve is always appreciated, I believe.

People buying tRev are buying pre-release software, but it is software
that people are using to get real work done. This happening on Mac and
PCs.

Have there been problems with individual systems and set-ups? YES.
Have I dealt with everyone of those myself? YES.  No one is ignored,
everyone gets an email from me, if they send me one.

I find people fascinating. For me, talking and emailing with others is
one of my favorite parts of the day. If email doesn't get the problem
solved, we use GoToMeeting and screen share.

Why have so many people bought tRev (pre-release software) without a
trial or anything?

1. tRev works differently. People are ready for something different.
Some are not. That's fine.

2. tRev works outside the IDE. This makes it very stable, once it's up
and running. A handful of people have had install problems. Much of
this was due to the set-up of folders where Rev resides. tRev has to
know where Rev is in order to work. Much of this has been sorted.

3. tRev has several excellent features that really do change the way
you script. Just ask the folks who have been using it. Auto-completion
is very compelling. The built-in object browser really makes finding
objects really easy. Parent scripts (behaviors) and datagrids are
really built-in to the way it works.

4. People in our community understand that developing tools for a very
small market is challenging financially, and they want to help. Plus,
they want their toolset to evolve.

Here's a comment that I hear a lot: "Why isn't Revolution doing this?
Why does this [Yank in Texas] have to do it?"

I can't control what Runtime Revolution does or doesn't do. I see a
void and I try to fill it with a solution with little time and zero
funding other than sales...make that pre-sales, actually.

Let's talk about Runtime Revolution the company. I have been to
Edinburgh. Edinburgh has been here. I know these people and quite a
bit about the day-to-day of their business life. I understand the
software business and the developer tool business.

More than anything, I want to put the whole "why-isn't-Runrev-doing-
this" thing in context. Here goes...

1. Revolution is a marvel. There is NOTHING like it anywhere on this
planet. Truly. Cross-platform and soon-to-be cross-browser. There's
even a server/storage solution. This is UNPRECEDENTED.

2. ALL major development environs lose money and are SUBSIDIZED by OS
companies or hardware companies or universities. Kevin Miller's belief
in himself and his product are what subsidizes Runtime Revolution. He
puts himself on the line every day of every week to keep his shop
running. The man is like steel-cut oatmeal. I don't know how he does
it, frankly.

3. The Runrev development team barely have time to eat right now. They
are making history with their product, and they've been kind enough to
include us. I am truly grateful.

All that said, I still grouse about Revolution. But I know it's my own
BS. In the video we did yesterday I jokingly point out how the
Revolution IDE can be an excellent form of exercise with all it's
clicking. But I am also quick to point out how hard the Runrev team is
working and how I have not right to complain. I know it's bad form to
joke at another's expense, but sometimes I just can't help myself.

So I am very entirely understanding when it comes to "why-isn't-
Revoluton-doing-this" question. But my answer is: "thank God."

Best,

Jerry Daniels
Watch tRev - The Movie
http://reveditor.com/trev-the-movie