revlet and path

Tereza Snyder tereza at califex.com
Thu Aug 6 09:29:52 EDT 2009

On Aug 5, 2009, at 2:08 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Yves COPPE wrote:
>> Here is a very simple script :
>> on mouseUp
>>     put empty into fld "resultat"
>>    set itemDel to "/"
>>    put item 1 to -2 of the effective fileName of this stack into
>> tPath
>>    set itemDel to comma
>>    put tPath into fld "resultat"
>> end mouseUp
>> In the IDE, it gives the right path
>> when I build a revlet, put it on my server and open it with Safari,
>> it  gives ... nothing ! fld "resultat" stays empty
>> Any idea ?
>
> The stack file on your server isn't the one that's running.  Like
> web pages, what the browser gets is a downloaded copy of the stack
> file. This copy lives in RAM, so its fileName will be empty.

It sounds like this means that I can't reliably reference files—like
external stacks or configuration files—'next to' my revlet on the
server. Is this true? How about the value of 'the directory' or
'default folder'? How about referenced images?

I routinely store application resources in a folder, 'resources', next
to my apps that contain all kinds of stuff. I compute paths at startup
depending on the effective filename. Do I have to change my
architecture?

Tereza Snyder
Califex Software, Inc.
<www.califexsoftware.com>