Problem with answer file(s)

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Tue Aug 4 10:06:58 EDT 2009

This seems extremely simple, but I can't get the following example to
work (the example comes from the Rev dictionary for Rev 3.5.0 build
870):

> For example, to specify that only Revolution files should appear in
> the dialog box, use this statement. The description "Revolution
> files" is visible to the user at the bottom of the dialog, and only
> files with the extension ".rev" are shown:
>   answer file myPrompt with filter "Revolution files,*.rev"

When I do this on an Intel Mac running Mac OS 10.5.7, the file
selection box appears but all the files (not just non- .rev files) in
the directory are dimmed and can't be selected. Same if I use the
"answer files" version, and also if I substitute "type" for "filter".
OTOH if I leave out the type/filter part of the statement, I get the
directory shown with all types of files (of course) and the individual
files are selectable and the expected list appears in the "it" variable.

I just want to see one type of file (not really .rev, but if that
example works then clearly I can do what I want).

What am I doing wrong? Answer file has existed for a long time, so I
imagine it's my mistake rather than a bug. I found some some
correspondence about this in the list archives way back in 2002, but
nothing I can see more recent.

TIA

Graham