OT: hacking and painting

Ian Wood revlist at azurevision.co.uk
Mon Aug 3 06:29:35 EDT 2009

An essay I just came across which I thought might be particularly
appropriate for this list.

http://www.paulgraham.com/hp.html

"If I had only looked over at the other makers, the painters or the
architects, I would have realized that there was a name for what I was
doing: sketching. As far as I can tell, the way they taught me to
program in college was all wrong. You should figure out programs as
you're writing them, just as writers and painters and architects do.

Realizing this has real implications for software design. It means
that a programming language should, above all, be malleable. A
programming language is for thinking of programs, not for expressing
programs you've already thought of. It should be a pencil, not a pen.
Static typing would be a fine idea if people actually did write
programs the way they taught me to in college. But that's not how any
of the hackers I know write programs. We need a language that lets us
scribble and smudge and smear, not a language where you have to sit
with a teacup of types balanced on your knee and make polite
conversation with a strict old aunt of a compiler."

Sounds like a good description of Runrev to me...

Ian