[ANN] Stacks published on the Web

Rick Harrison harrison at all-auctions.com
Sun Aug 2 13:58:36 EDT 2009

Hi there,

I think this problem is a huge mess!  I found myself
feeling really paranoid about trying the stacks due
to the nasty sounding dialogs.

There has to be a better solution or people will not
adopt using the plug-in.

Just my 2 cents.

Rick

On Aug 2, 2009, at 1:41 PM, Colin Holgate wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2009, at 1:26 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>

>> I have to agree that the generic warning is a little too scary to
>> encourage widespread adoption.
>
> An example of too many dialogs preventing adoption is Shockwave.
> Even with 60% of people having Shockwave installed, clients tend not
> to want to use it because installing the plugin has opt-out add-ons,
> and if you access content on another valid site for the same
> company, Shockwave would show that security dialog. With the latest
> Shockwave version you can now check the crossdomain.xml policy file,
> and so at last can get around that issue for using content on
> another one of the client's sites.
>
> Flash security is extremely tough and limiting, and manages to do
> all that without having to bother the user with permission dialogs.
> About 15 years of effort has gone into the thinking behind how
> Shockwave and Flash security is handled, so there is a chance that
> some of what they have done is a good way to work.
>
> So, Rev stacks online for your relatives to see your work is fine,
> but for real large client work it won't succeed if every user that
> uses the piece has to cope with security and permissions dialogs,
> because clients will tell you to use Flash instead.

Rick Harrison

You can buy my $10 music album "Funny Time Machine" digital CD on the
iTunes Store Now!

To visit the iTunes Store now to listen to samples of my CD please
click on the
following link.  (Please note you must have iTunes installed on your
computer for this link to work.)

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=213668290