Re-2: [OT] on-rev urls

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 18 20:31:21 EDT 2009

On Apr 18, 2009, at 2:59 PM, Colin Holgate wrote:

>> On Apr 18, 2009, at 5:43 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:
>>
>>> I believe you're generally supposed to allow 24 to 48 hours for
>>> DNS changes
>>> to propagate throughout the Internet.
>>
>> It's the weekend, so it managed it a couple of hours. It was just
>> odd that the second one took 60 times longer than the first one.

Actually, there are thousands of name servers around the world that
need to be updated so that everyone can find your new installation.
Some servers do the automatic update sooner than others.  When I type
in a readable url (eg. www.google.com), my name server is right here
in Vegas, so I can only see urls that they have cataloged on THAT
server.  The name lookup is how the IP address is located in order to
make the connection to a hosted site.

When you see the word 'propagation', it means that every ISP
eventually updates their name servers so that your change becomes
world-wide.  This may be why a collaborator you are working with may
not see the domain change at the same time you do.  All should be well
after 48 hours, otherwise their could be a glitch in the lookup table
that you need to report.  Your ISP can help you with this.

Hope this helps.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas