question about find and replace

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 30 03:54:26 EDT 2008

How do you pad out a series of numbers with leading zeros?  Like for instance
the series is

.1.
.2.
.3.
.11.
.42.
.98.

and you want them to be

.001.
.002.
.003.
.011.
.042.
.098.

I know how to find them, using the fact that they appear as shown between
two . characters,  but then I don't know how to use regular expressions to
put part of what has been found back along with the padding zeros.  Or should
you not be trying to use regex at all?  I seem to recall something about look
ahead and greediness but never really understood it, is this relevant?

Peter