OT Font Question

Mark Swindell mdswindell at cruzio.com
Tue Sep 30 00:31:44 EDT 2008

Devin,

Thanks for the link.  I'm actually after something that I think may
not exist.  It would be similar in function to an IPA font, but with
regular English character pairs whose kerning would be reduced so that
they would represent a single visual unit, mirroring how they
represent sound.  "Good" would be "G oo d" and "shallow" would be "sh
a ll ow."  It would require tweaking the kerning between digraph
letter pairs and dipthongs to tighten them up, while keeping regular
spacing between these double letters, single letters, and words.

I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to create, but in teaching I find
that some children have a difficult time seeing that "sh" for example,
is not "s h" but rather its own phonetic unit.  (A parallel: until
fairly recently, "ch" was the fourth letter of the Spanish alphabet,
though it was never represented with tighter kerning... I think the
Real Academia might have done away with that one, as well as the "ll",
at least for purposes of alphabetizing.  (Wikpedia: In 1994, it ruled
that the Spanish consonants CH (ché) and LL (elle) would hence be
alphabetized under C and under L, respectively, and not as separate,
discrete letters, as in the past.)

The idea was to be able to present text to kids written with these
combinations emphasized while retaining a somewhat natural look.

Mark,