Stopping A Stack From Starting Up in the IDE
devin_asay at byu.edu
Fri Sep 26 11:32:42 CDT 2008
On Sep 25, 2008, at 3:35 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:
> Just a follow-up note on this problem with Larry's crashing stack.
> It turns out locking messages still didn't prevent a crash on any
> version of Rev I have. So I had to get a bit more sneaky and access
> the stack's contents BEFORE opening it. Turns out there were a number
> of issues with the stack:
> 1) It was named "msg" which IMO is not such a great idea- I renamed
> it to "fred"
> 2) Control number 16 was field "sokField" which somehow corrupted the
> stack. I deleted this fld and it now opens correctly. I forwarded the
> stack back to Larry.
> Interestingly, the contents of that field are strange to say the
> least. I've been able to copy the field to this stack:
> in message box:
> go URL ("http://www.gadgetplugins.com/altplugins/testFix.rev")
> Perhaps Jacque or someone who knows Unicode stuff could take a look at
> that field and tell me what's happening at the end of it?
I took a look at the text both in Rev and BBedit. I don't know if this
is the cause of the problem, but I found lots of NBSP (non-breaking
space) characters embedded in it. On my Mac, for example, if I do:
put charToNum(char 1 of line 6 of fld "msgasdf")
It returns 202.
I suspect, due to the automatic character conversion of fld text in
Rev, if you executed the same statement, it would return '160', the
CP1252/ISO 8859-1 equivalent code point. (In fact, I just confirmed
that here on a Windows box.)
Concentrations of this character are especially dense near the end of
the text in this field. So Rev may have had trouble dealing with the
"words" created by this character--just guessing. Anyway, it might be
Humanities Technology and Research Support Center
Brigham Young University
More information about the use-livecode