Ask/Answer sometimes losing defaultStack

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Sep 25 12:03:12 EDT 2008

Since v2.7 I've had some bug reports from my users which lead me to
believe that the ask and answer dialogs aren't always returning the
defaultStack to what it was before they were called. I've seen this a
few times myself, in scripts that first call an ask or answer dialog,
then in subsequent lines make references to objects in the stack that
called those dialogs and I get an "object not found" error.

In such cases I've found that this workaround fixes things:

   put the defaultStack into tSaveStack
   ask "Whatever" with "OK"
   set the defaultStack to tSaveStack
   -- do more stuff...

But I have a lot of code that calls ask and answer, so it isn't
practical to add those lines to all of it.

I'd submit this to the RQQC, but I haven't yet been able to create an
isolated example, which leaves me with the possibility that I have
something going on in these apps which is causing the problem rather
than ask and answer.

And for all I know, if this was an engine issue it may have been fixed
in v3.  Rev 2.7 had a lot of changes to window layer handling in an
attempt to clean up some modality issues, and those have been refined
since but I haven't yet shipped a beta to my users with v3.0 (and since
the recipe is so elusive it's hard to say how long it would need to be
in the wild before this shows itself anyway).

So I'm checking in with you folks here to ask if any of you have seen
anything like this, "object not found" errors after calling ask or answer.

If so, have you been able to come up with a simple example to reproduce it?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation