Distinguishing simple and double clicks

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr
Tue Sep 23 17:38:31 EDT 2008

Le 23 sept. 08 à 19:04, Eric Chatonet a écrit :

<snip>

> Sure but I wonder: in many apps when does exist this ability, it
> does not seem there is an extra delay: how is this possible?
> Actually, I don't think it's possible without extra delay...

I am note versed in computer science, but I am pretty sure that any
software system has to be causal with respect to its physical input;
in other words, you HAVE to wait for a possible second click to
happen to decide whether it is a double click or a simple click. What
actually happens, IMHO, is that you cannot use both single and double-
click on the same object, which allows the second click interval so
start relatively early after the first click; on macOS X, the
duration of the second click detection (i.e. how long you wait to
decide that a second click will not occur anymore) seems to be tuned
by the system preferences. As for click and drag, I guess that the
drag action eliminates the possibility of a second click. Maybe this
translate in scrutinizing the mouseloc in your scripts to detect
dragging.

mes deux centimes

François

<snip>