As programming environments get more powerful programers get lazy

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Tue Sep 23 03:00:58 EDT 2008

Yes, but any explanation of libraries should also include
**components**: my recent attempts to employ libraries consistently
for the first time (embarassingly this was many years after I started
scripting) revealed soon enough that a library in the sense of
something invoked by "start using" or similar is, in Rev, a **script**
library only. If you want a library of objects, then you just have to
have a set of re-usable stacks or substacks which you organise
yourself, and which contain the cards, fields, buttons etc and their
interactions which you want to re-use: a good example is a
registration suite for an application, where the user is given a key
after paying: the key has to be validated and the new status of the
app stored; the look and feel of the registration process will be part
of a consistent style which the developer will want to project. Thus
most developers will use the same mechanism again and again, so a
component approach is the way to go.

I have ended up with some 'pure' script libraries and some component
stacks, but AFAICS there is no particular mechanism in Rev for helping
with the component side of things - or at least I couldn't find any
explanation of that type of re-use.

Graham

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 14:49:00 -0400, "william humphrey" <shoreagent at gmail.com