Restraining the pencil in Rev

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at comcast.net
Sun Sep 21 12:33:54 EDT 2008

Hey Joe,

I got confused by this at first in building standalones. You're not
alone. ;-)

You may already know some of this but for anyone following this thread
it might help.

OK, So you want to build an application that can save 'apparent'
document files. Why, because on most Operating systems the actual
application itself can not be modified while running, so it can't save
itself. OK, so the answer is to build an app that can store things in
another document(stack) instead, thereby not changing itself but
rather it is changing the 'other' document(stack) which is not self
running.

OK, so in Revolution we use stacks for most everything so our
'document' is actually a stack and our 'application' is actually a
stack too. The problem you ran into is that the standalone/application
has the cards that you want to save in it and it is actually the
'document' stack that should have the cards that you want to save.
(You have your 50 cards in the wrong stack if you want to save them
easily)

For the most part most people will build either a splash screen stack
as the non-editable application stack or a minimal application stack
that has most of the 'engine' of your application and then use another
stack as the savable stack or document stack. If you do it this way
then all of the 50 cards should NOT be in the application stack but
rather in the document stack. Then when you open your standalone/
application stack as a running application it should then open the
separate documentation stack after loading and then right away from
your standalone application you should save that just opened stack
under a new name. This ensures that the original is not written over
by your stack or the user.

Now that the document stack is saved (from the application stack) any
and all changes made to that stack will be saved when you issue the
save command.

So, incase your stack crashes etc. you should have a save command on
quit and on close etc. to ensure the best chance the stack is saved.

I hope this helps and explains the issue.

Tom McGrath