OS X Rev CGI engine failure

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Sep 19 14:52:22 EDT 2008

Andre Garzia wrote:
> Jacque,
>
> you won't like what I just found... I've tried the same engine with
> MacOS X 10.5 and 10.4... on 10.4 I got the same error as you got, on
> 10.5 everything was fine. I guess the engine is smarter on leopard or
> something like that. I don't have previous versions of 10.3 and
> downwards anymore, so I can't test against them.
>
> Now is your cgi software supposed to run on macs? Because you're fine
> on linux. And not one dares cgis on windows anyway, too weird. So it
> appears that your only problem is mac os x tiger. If you're not using
> any of the 3.0 goodies, you can revert to old engine... I know this
> was just what you didn't want. I remember having the same trouble some
> years ago and talking with mark the engine master that confirmed that
> the engine was not working as cgi in tiger but offered no solution.
>
> if you plan to deploy this on 10.4 you can try the suEXEC approach of
> previous email, it will make that error go away, but it has some
> steps. I made a installer for that solution for David Brooks, I can
> send it to you.

I'm so happy you got the same thing. :) It doesn't have to work
necessarily on Tiger. I can use my server over at JaguarPC if I have to,
or just use an older engine on my OS X Mac here. Unfortunately I just
tried it on Leopard and got the same error, but that was with engine
2.9, I haven't tried 3.0 yet. So I'll do that. With 2.9, Leopard console
reports the same error with different wording:

_RegisterApplication(), FAILED TO establish the default connection to
the WindowServer, _CGSDefaultConnection() is NULL.

Thanks for confirming this Andre. I thought I was going crazy. I won't
have time to do more testing until later tonight but I'll let you know
if 3.0 works on Leopard for me.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com