OS9 standalone builds

Jeff Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Thu Sep 18 13:48:50 EDT 2008

HI,

Has anyone yet converted their rev 3.0 stacks into OS9 classic
standalones? is the classic build going to be frozen at 2.6.1 for good
now? there was promise that the final classic was going to be in 2.7
or 2.8, but that never seemed to happen (2.8 left it at available soon).

i still have to create mac classic stanalones for the school cdroms as
its still a significant market in the elementary schools still holding
onto older macs and not going to osx with them...

I have not been working on these cdroms for the last 6 months, but
will need to be upgrading some old ones and creating new grade levels
of others and wondering if its ok to move the software line to 3.0
from 2.6.1 at this time or wait. i purposely froze these projects on
2.6.1 to keep compatibility for building classic standalones. our
mulitmedia cdroms are pretty simple and seem to be very happy
currently with 2.6.1 builds on mac and pc, but am aware we may be just
new system version away from that being true at any point here...

also does anyone know if there is a list of the set of features that
the 2.6.1 engine cannot do so i can make sure to try to avoid them if
i do go to 3.0 for these projects? there is mention in the user guide
to try stacks in the 2.6.1 ide to make sure they are functional. does
this mean that 3.0 stacks are openable by 2.6.1?

would love to use the new 3.0 ide and standardize the projects that do
and dont require classic on one ide/development system, but i do need
to make sure the classic stuff works flawlessly as these projects
translate into tens of thousands of cdroms out there and mistakes can
be deadly...

just thought i would check with folks for any major gotchas or news i
may have missed before i embarked on a big round of testing.

thanks

jeff