openBackground message?

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Wed Sep 17 16:04:09 EDT 2008

On Sep 17, 2008, at 1:35 PM, Dave Cragg wrote:

> On 17 Sep 2008, at 18:46, Devin Asay wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does this message actually get sent along with openCard, closeCard
>> and the rest? I am trying to use an openBackground handler in a
>> group, but the message doesn't seem to get sent. The message watcher
>> doesn't show it being sent.
>
> Do you have the backgroundBehavior of the group set to true? I'm able
> to handle the openBackground messages when this property is set.

You're right. The group I was working with did not have the
backgroundBehavior set to true. However, the docs state that this
message is "Sent to the current card right after you go from a card
that does not have the group to a card that does."

A little further on it says:
"The openBackground message is sent to the card, then (if the card
does not trap the message) along the message path to each group on the
card. This means that if there is more than one group on the card, the
openBackground message is sent to each one."

If you are familiar with message paths, you might conclude that the
only groups it works on are background-style groups, since they come
after the card in the message hierarchy. But still the docs imply
clearly that the openBackground message is sent to every group on the
card.

I suspect that this is in fact a documentation error, rather than a
bug. I'm going to add a note to this effect to my bug report. Maybe I
can get a clarification from RunRev out of it.

Regards,

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University