Arrays: new and old keys, i

David Bovill david at vaudevillecourt.tv
Sun Sep 14 19:53:04 EDT 2008

Mark - looking at your script this is NOT doing what we need. It is not
sorting the keys - it is simply sorting a list, which happens to be inside
of an array. By that I mean nothing is actually happening to the array - you
simply extract the contents of an array and sort it.

2008/9/14 Mark Brownell <gizmotron at earthlink.net>

> on mouseUp
>   put "" into field "results"
>   put "hatTrick,rabbit drops,fish food,catfish bait," into
> myArray[9]["sortKeys"]
>   put "fish stories" & "," after myArray[9]["sortKeys"]
>   put myArray[9]["sortKeys"] & return & return into field "results"
>   sort items of myArray[9]["sortKeys"] by word 1 of each
>   put myArray[9]["sortKeys"] after field "results"
> end mouseUp

So this is the same as:

put myArray[9]["sortKeys"] into plainOldList
sort items of plainOldList by word 1 of each

  We still cant use things like:

on mouseUp
    put "" into field "results"
    put "hatTrick,rabbit drops,fish food,catfish bait" into someList
    repeat for each item someItem in someList
        put random(10) into testArray [someItem]
    end repeat

    -- does not compile
    sort keys of testArray by word 1 of each

    put keys(testArray) after field "results"
end mouseUp

And even if we could, that doesn't simplify the job of registering the
sequential order FIFO stye - which we still have to do manually, with all
the speed loss associated with extra lines of code and using slower repeat
structures.

Ask the others what is proposed.
> It's mainly what they want. Read their past posts and sort that out.

I will - I'll put them into an array.

I have exactly what I want now

I don't :)

Though you have taught me some cool syntax!