automating Excel

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat Sep 13 00:24:42 EDT 2008

Jim-

> As an overview of your task, you might think about a different paradigm for
> this or other such projects.

> Write the working Excel code as VBA (one or a set of functions), then make
> the VB call that procedure in the workbook.

Actually, that's where I started. I recorded a VBA macro of the task
to be accomplished, then copied the macro into a vbs file and fiddled
with it from there. I suppose I could have created a blank worksheet
with that single macro and tried to automate running the macro from
rev, although I don't know what the syntax would be for that.

> I did this a few years ago with Access building a set of output tables in
> two Excel worksheets in a workbook where VB simply called a VBA routine
> (handler).

>From Access this isn't a problem - Office applications can automate
each other fairly easily. VBscript is a different animal from VBA,
unfortunately, and in subtle ways.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net