Checking to see if another program has your database open

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Sep 12 15:35:24 EDT 2008

On 9/12/08 10:22 PM, "Robert Brenstein" <rjb at robelko.com> wrote:

>> 1. Don't do that ):  -- figured that one out myself as it results in instant
>> crash on Mac OS. I believe that on windows other bad things happen.

Aha, so it crashes ...
Yes please report this to our Mantis and we will see why and where.

On Windows there is nothing bad, because second app just cannot get access
to exclusive file of other app.

> The only way to check whether a file (a database in this case) is
> open from another program is to ask Finder through AppleScript or
> another program if the file-is-busy flag is set. On the other hand,
> Valentina should not crash but return system error that file is in
> use (code -31 if my memory doesn't fail me). It used to do that for
> sure, so I suggest you report this crash to Valentina's Mantis, so
> Ruslan's crew can look at it.

Right.

Well, may be we need add this .lock file to db engine for OS X and Linux,
And later to see if manually trash of .lock file is enough to avoid mess
with timeouts.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin