Checking to see if another program has your database open

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Fri Sep 12 15:22:43 EDT 2008

On 12/09/08 at 15:07 -0400 william humphrey apparently wrote:
>Thanks for your prompt answer JB.
>
>I searched the database of old strings and I cannot find any answer for how
>to check if the database is being used by another program. The only answers
>I found were:
>

>1. Don't do that ):  -- figured that one out myself as it results in instant
>crash on Mac OS. I believe that on windows other bad things happen.
>

>2. Use excellent multi-user server version of Valentina.
>

>Both of those are excellent answers but I'm still looking for a way to check
>if the database is open by another program from within RunRev. There must be
>a way to do this.

The only way to check whether a file (a database in this case) is
open from another program is to ask Finder through AppleScript or
another program if the file-is-busy flag is set. On the other hand,
Valentina should not crash but return system error that file is in
use (code -31 if my memory doesn't fail me). It used to do that for
sure, so I suggest you report this crash to Valentina's Mantis, so
Ruslan's crew can look at it.

Robert