Checking to see if another program has your database open

-= JB =- sundown at pacifier.com
Fri Sep 12 13:52:38 EDT 2008

On Sep 12, 2008, at 7:47 AM, william humphrey wrote:

> Someone gave me this excellent check routine to see if a Valentina
> database
> is open in RunRev:
>
> *
> *
>
> *function* CheckDatabase
>
>    *put* Valentina_CacheSize() into var
>
>    *if* var<1 *then*
>
>      *put* false into tOpen
>
>    *else*
>
>       *put* true into tOpen
>
>    *end* *if*
>
>    *return* tOpen
>
> *end* CheckDatabase
>

> But how do I check to see if Valentina Studio (or another program)
> has the
> database open? When running the database client side if Valentina
> Studio has
> it open and then you try to open it with RunRev you get an instant
> catastrophic crash so I need a routine to check in RunRev first to
> see if
> another program has like valentina studio has the same database
> open before
> I open it with RunRev. The above routine does not work for that.
>

> Can anyone please suggest something?  By the way I reported this in
> Mantis
> for Valentina but I've given up reporting bugs in Bugzilla at least
> until
> there is an easier way to do it (similar to Mantis or RevZilla -- I
> haven't
> checked has RevZilla been updated to work with the new system?)

Hi William,

On January 16, 2008 I asked a question about how to determine if a
database
is open.  The question is listed below.  There were answers and
question that
I asked about the answers.  Look at the thread carefully.  I believe
it includes
the answer but after that I focused on other parts of Valentina so I
still need to
do to.

It would be nice if they included a function with Valentina to give a
simple true
or false if a database is open instead of looking at the list.  I
don't think they
understand how important this would be for Rev users so they probably
will
not make the function.

-=>JB<=-