is there a shell command on windows to unzip a file?

Luis luis at anachreon.co.uk
Fri Sep 12 05:03:46 EDT 2008

'compact' is available in WinXP (do 'compact /?' on the command line
for details). 'compress' is available from the resource kit, free,
but not built-in.
Check their flexibility: Last I used 'compact' on the command line it
would not create a .zip but it does open them. I gave up on it
because it'd only work on NTFS formatted drives.

I think WinZip still do the 'free' command line component (which may
be why the zipfldr.dll in WinXP is 'unusable' on the command line due
to licencing restrictions, so it's only used via the GUI).

Cheers,

Luis.