AW: AW: AW: AW: slown down of IDE 2.9 under windows

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Sep 11 11:46:50 EDT 2008

Tiemo Hollmann wrote:
 > Actually I didn't thought that 2300 lines of code could affect
 > the IDE and as I posted before, the slowdown is already with
 > only IDE open, without any stack open, very curious.

Definitely odd.  This may not be necessary, but have you considered a
fresh install?  If nothing else it'll help ensure you're back to the
default configuration, reducing the deltas between your experience and
that of systems performing better.

 > A bit of history:
 > There is a competitive product of rev, Toolbook (which has the same
 > Hypercard derivation as Rev) which has the 2^15 KB char limit per
 > field still today :-)

Nice to see another ToolBook refugee here.  Before I jumped on the
MetaCard/Rev bandwagon I did the programming on a CBT series for a major
retail chain with ToolBook.  I liked many things about it (esp. the
direct script access to OS APIs), but alas my clients just can't afford
to use platform-specific tools anymore.

Is it still $2,495?  I visited toolbook.com to check the prices, but
when I clicked the Store link I got:

   Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e14'
   Incorrect syntax near '='.
   /30094192/init.asp, line 41

Like I said, my clients can't afford to use platform-specific tools. ;)

They're up to v9.5 and still have that text limit?  Odd.  Coupled with
the multi-year span between v7 and v8, I gotta wonder what's up with
that code base.

TB's boot sequence (at least as of v7, the last I used) is very strange,
with DLLs and script libraries in at least three different directories
across the hard drive.  I discussed this with their support staff while
I was having a tough time tracking down a strange bug, and at the time
they said they had no documentation on the boot sequence so I was left
to my own devices to track it down.  After I'd figured it out I
submitted documentation on it to the team, and to the best of my
knowledge that was the only support documentation on the boot sequence
they had for some time.  I was happy to help -- they were really nice
people -- but it seemed an odd omission for a system that complex.

That's one of the things I loved about the Rev engine the moment I
started using it:  it delivers a self-contained EXE, and a surprisingly
small one at that.

Even today, when I deliver products to Fortune 500 companies, their IT
staff sometimes ask me what else is needed for installation and are
surprised when I tell them the little EXE is all they need.  "What DLLs
does it need?" they ask.  "None", I say.  They walk away confused but
happy. :)

Still, there are some very good ideas in ToolBook, some of which would
benefit us here, like the new iPhone deployment option.

PS: I found the issue with TB's Store:  seems they require cookies, but
don't provide a warning when they're turned off (love Firefox's privacy
options).  The current price is $2,795.  Makes Rev Enterprise look like
a steal, even more so when you consider the multi-platform deployment
options.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal