AW: AW: AW: slown down of IDE 2.9 under windows

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Sep 11 11:08:30 EDT 2008

Jerry Daniels wrote:
> On Sep 10, 2008, at 4:09 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>>  put the script of stack "StackWithABunchOfcode"
>>
>> That will dump the text of the script into the Message Box.  If it
>> takes about the same time as it does to open GLX2 with the same
>> script, the issue lies elsewhere.
>
> I can tell you right now that GLX2 does NOT render a script as fast as
> you can put a script into a message box. Not even close. If the user
> is colorizing scripts and showing links to handlers in scripts, then
> this will take some millisecs, depending upon the machine, OS and
> processor. But I wouldn't think 2300 lines of code is much of a
> challenge for GLX2 Script Editor.
>
> When I open my large test script with the Rev 3.0 script editor it
> does not happen instantly, either.

I think I would win "Understatement of the Year" if I referred to you as
an experienced scripter. :)  I understand you do some nifty processing
of the script to put in the links etc., but I also understand you know
what you're doing and suspect that any such difference would not be
noticeable, at least not enough to cause the sort of slowdown noted here.

That's why this subjective test is perhaps more useful than a formal
benchmark:  for a slowdown to be really noticeable it would have to be
severe, likely more severe than any amount of processing GLX2 could be
doing on a mere 2300-line script.

I suggested this only as a first step in diagnosis, establishing some
sort of baseline to hopefully lead us to the root cause.   GLX2 users
seem very happy with the editor, so I suspect the root cause will be
found elsewhere.  But to find that root cause it will be useful to
remove variables from the equation, so testing raw script access seems a
good starting point.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal