AW: AW: AW: slown down of IDE 2.9 under windows

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 10 17:09:06 EDT 2008

Eric Chatonet wrote:
>> I have many stacks with > 5,000 lines of code. GLX2 Script Editor
>> mainstack has over 15,000 lines of code. This is the script I use
>> to test GLX2 Script Editor's performance. I don't think 2,300 lines
>> is too many.
> In Rev, there is no limit; a single script may count millions of
> lines if needed **
> As said Jerry and as for my experience, some thousands of lines are
> not a problem.
> May be Richard will chime in with his (useful) benchmarks but I never
> encountered any problem with scripts length or handlers number.

It's been a while since I benchmarked Rev's field loading and buffering,
but suffice to say it was impressive.  Loading up a field with the
entire Bible (courtesy of the Gutenberg Ebooks Project) took a while to
load, but once loaded it scrolled more smoothly than a fourth as much
text in Microsoft Word.

In my experience, the biggest slowdown with loading a field with large
amounts of text is when the engine has to determine soft breaks for
lines.  This isn't an issue in script editors, since the dontWrap of the
field is set to true leaving the developer in control of where lines wrap.

In terms of overall performance, 2300 lines of hard-wrapped text in a
field with the dontWrap set should be pretty snappy to load, and very
responsive to scrolling.

If there's a question about performance of the raw native field control
relative to whatever processing GLX2 may be doing to prep display, you
can simply try this:

   put the script of stack "StackWithABunchOfcode"

That will dump the text of the script into the Message Box.  If it takes
about the same time as it does to open GLX2 with the same script, the
issue lies elsewhere.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal