Text of an image

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Sep 4 14:26:39 EDT 2008

Recently, J. Landman Gay wrote:

>> In answer to your question about 'text' and 'alphadata', no, the 'text'
>> of an image does not contain the 'alphadata' image control property. It
>> can contain the alpha data as represented in the PNG format however.
>
> Sounds like we need more clarification. ;)
>
> I've been trying to track down a crash while working with images, which
> turns out not to be related to any of this. I thought I knew the
> difference between text and imagedata (and except for the above, I think
> I did.) Trevor's explanation may just be a different way of saying what
> Scott said though.

Perhaps one needs to get into the nitty gritty of *when* an object is
treated a PNG by Rev, but regardless:

1) if you import a GIF, you can assign both its image/alpha data to another
image by referencing its text

2) if you create a native image object within Rev, you can assign both its
image/alpha data to another image by referencing its text

I've heard that when working images in Rev, some things happen under the
hood at some point that cause Rev to treat images as PNG regardless of
whatever format they started as.  So Trevor's explanation may be
*technically* true, in that Rev treats ALL objects as PNGs.  But for
practical purposes, the text property does indeed reference both
image/alphadata.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director