Revolution 3.0 > New script editor

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Sep 4 11:46:10 EDT 2008

Mark Schonewille wrote:
 > What would you say about designing your own script editor?
 > I'm curious about what your ideal script editor would
 > look like.

Here's the one Ken and I and some of our clients use:

<http://fourthworldlabs.com/ROSE.jpg>

The Rev Open Source Editor (ROSE) currently works only in the MetaCard
IDE, since that's where we spend our time.  And with Jerry and now
RunRev putting in so much time on editors for Rev, we've been very slow
to add Rev compatibility.

But if there's interest in a very simple yet reasonably useful editor, I
can be motivated to work on that end as time permits.

There are some features not evident in that screnshot, like shortcuts,
lookup of handler definitions, and the long-term goal is to complete
separate the editor from the debugger so we have environments dedicated
to each task.

The downside with this project is that both Ken and I are up to our
armpits with client work, so while we use ROSE daily we don't get to
spend much time enhancing it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal