secure FTP

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Sep 3 17:51:35 EDT 2008

Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Good catch.  My post would have been more clear had I written: "...we
> have access to TCP and UDP in a form open reasonably open and flexible
> enough to write routines for most common protocols and invent out own
> custom protocols as needed."
>
> What level of socket support do you need that isn't available right now?

Need ?

I have no *need* for raw sockets - I'd just like them to play with :-)

Specifically, I'd like to try out things with ICMP for ping/traceroute
type applications (e.g. to discovery whether I am *really* connected to
the Internet). (ICMP is a different IP protocol number, so an alternate
to UDP or TCP)

Another example (not necessarily provided simply by basic raw sockets)
would be use of multicast to multiple machines on my home network, e.g.
for streaming audio or for multi-player games.

Couldn't (and wouldn't try to) justify it as a priority, so I haven't
even entered a feature request - but if it was there, I'd play with it.

-- Alex.